Tuesday 27 October 2009

Sunday

I visited the little village of Rottingdean just outside Brighton. A 'picturesque' village and home to the house and gardens of Rudyard Kipling. I wandered around the gardens which were very pretty and peaceful and then I visited the Church of 'St Margarets' Where most of the windows were designed by Burne Jones (Kipling's uncle) and created by William Morris (Burne Jones's Friend)

Burne Jones lived in a cottage opposite the church and as I walked through the quaint village lanes I was touched by an attractive melancholy that stayed with me for the rest of the evening. History is fascinating but can throw up strange and totally human emotions born from a sense of connection and yet distance from those who went before. If that makes any sense?






A Sunday lunch in the pub 'The Plough' and the witty companionship of my old English Tutor, made for a leisurely and mellow Sunday.

3 comments:

DOT said...

Wow! Stuart and I regularly would go to Rottingdean for the best full English breakfast and best coffee at a tiny little cafe on the slip road running down to the sea, run by the most cheerfully optimistic man I've met, and not once did we discover this gem.
Must visit soon.

Kingsdowner said...

Thanks for bringing back memories of Rottingdean - my mother worked in one of the pubs many years ago (the Victoria?) and of course the Black Horse is famous for the Copper family's folk songs.
I'll make a point of visiting the church when next there.

Girl On The Run said...

Thank you for your comment Kingsdowner - I used to sing around the folk clubs when I was younger and came across the Copper family on many occasions. Yes, the church is worth a visit (-: