Monday 22 September 2008

Back in the world of telly viewing.

I have now got a signal on two channels on my TV, BBC1 and ITV1. This has enabled me to watch, both 'Strictly Come Dancing' and 'The X Factor', this weekend.

Both highly watchable for a woman with nothing better to do on a Saturday evening.

SCD - I love the grace and beauty of the professional dancers and of course the frocks.

XF - Yes, it is great fun to watch wannabe pop stars make a fool of themslves but this week-end left me feeling more than a little uncomfortable. An enthusiastic young man attempted a Michael Jackson number. Although the panel of judges were kinder than usual in their comments regarding his performance. I felt this young man was exploited in order to provide 'good' TV. There is a thin line between entertainment and exploitation and in this case I felt the line was crossed.

Last night I watched 'Tess'. I have pondered long and hard over whether I really wanted to watch this terribly tragic tale unfold one more time. But as a Hardy fan I felt compelled to do so. Inevitably I ended up wiping a tear or two from my eye and telling myself, "my life hasn't really been that bad considering ....."

3 comments:

Lane Mathias said...

The audition rounds of XF are too much like Bedlam and it makes for very uncomfortable viewing.

SCD on the other hand is pure delight. Already addicted to this series:-)

Girl On The Run said...

I agree Lane, however most are prepared to make fools of themselves for their 15 minutes of fame but some, like this man, who was obviously special needs, could be edited out to avoid him being ridiculed. The line was definitely crossed on this occasion.

Thank you for your comments (-:

DOT said...

I do worry about you, you know. XF and SCD are only to be taken with water, if taken with alcohol they can cause extreme cynicism.

As for Tess, I remember reading it for the first time on holiday in Greece. Ruined the holiday. That said, will probably watch it 'cos Hardy, for all his gloomy prognosis of life, could write.

xx