Thursday 20 August 2009

Men who suffer Domestic Violence.

I was listening to 'Woman's Hour' on Radio four this morning. On the show there was a man talking about his experience of terrible domestic violence at the hands of his wife. His suffering was absolutely appalling and sadly there is very little funding in place to help men to escape to a place of safety.

For those of you who are new to my blog, I spent nine months in a ‘Women's Refuge’ and for myself and the other women I shared this time with; it was a place that offered safety and huge amounts of support and advice. (Please see my early blogs to read my story). Thanks to the help that I received from 'Refuge' I am safe, I have a roof over my head and have discovered an ability to paint that I had no idea I possessed. Because of my key worker’s encouragement I now have sold three paintings and have two others hanging on display at my local ‘Art Cafe'.’

I feel very sad that there is so little help in place for men who suffer such terrible cruelty. The argument is that it would take away some of the funding that is available for women's refuges. I understand the concerns and certainly would not like to see women suffer as a result but surely men should be allowed the same support as women. One of the problems is that men rarely speak out about their suffering. They feel ashamed and emasculated.

As you probably know the first women's refuge were started by Erin Pizzey back in 1971 in a little house in Chiswick. It was, and still is I believe, funded solely by charities.

Maybe it is time for a man to stand up for his brothers and start a 'Man's Refuge. A man will understand men's fears and encourage them to voice the terrible abuse that they are suffering without prejudice or judgement. Also if his children are suffering from violence they too should be allowed to escape to a place of safety with their father.

Perhaps this is already happening? Please feel free to comment and to put me right if I am making incorrect assumptions.

No comments: