Monday 31 August 2009

Woo Hoo!!!

The purple demon is back on the road. Yes, after three car free years, I am again mobile. Yay!!!

Back in the days when I first bought my beautiful, shiny, purple baby it was love at first sight. After years and years of old bangers I now was to be the proud owner of a gorgeous, metallic purple, sporty number. She had alloy wheels, a body kit, an aerofoil and lowered suspension and a larger than average exhaust pipe which gave her a deep fruity voice. She shone, she growled, she attracted many an envious glance and I fell deeply, truly in love with her. Then I fell on financially hard times and my, previously envious, youngest son bought her from me. It broke my heart to lose her but at least I knew she was going to a good and loving home.

Now she is returned, she rattles, she groans, she stumbles on occasions and her paintwork is a little shabby, but oh the joy to have her back is just delicious.

It is strange because I was suddenly reminded of a poem that I adored as a child.

We had a set of encyclopaedias and inside each was a poem or a short story and being short of reading matter I used to hunt them out on winters evenings and read these little gems. The much loved poem was 'The Little Doll' by Charles Kingsley and it sums up pretty well how it feels to have my car back.

I once had a sweet little doll, dears,
The prettiest doll in the world;
Her cheeks were so red and so white, dears,
And her hair was so charmingly curled.
But I lost my poor little doll, dears,
As I played in the heath one day;
And I cried for more than a week, dears,
But I never could find where she lay.

I found my poor little doll, dears,
As I played in the heath one day:
Folks say she is terribly changed, dears,
For her paint is all washed away,
And her arms trodden off by the cows, dears
And her hair not the least bit curled:
Yet for old sakes' sake she is still, dears,
The prettiest doll in the world

No comments: