Wednesday 23 September 2009

Is praise a necessity?

Today I returned to my voluntary job after a weeks holiday, before I went away I re-designed a training brochure on body language for Age Concern. Upon my return I was greeted by an empty office but on my desk was a thank you card. It said and I quote "Thank you so much for your lovely work on our training piece. It is brilliant. Hope you had a good holiday and see you soon."

I was astounded. Never in all of my years in paid employment have I received such as missive. I was embarrassed, touched and puzzled.

Why is it that praise and support and encouragement is not in such supply in paid employment. OK I am not that naive, I realise the need for competition and the fear that too much praise might breed complaisance. But for me, who has been struggling to get paid employment for so long, it gave me hope, it helped my self esteem, it made me feel humble, supported and appreciated for probably the first time in an employment situation.

I can't help feeling it is a shame.

2 comments:

DOT said...

No less than you deserve :) x

Girl On The Run said...

Thank you, praise never hurt anyone and should be given more often in the work place, imho.

x