Tuesday 8 September 2009

It's my party and I'll cry if I want to ...

On Saturday I had a birthday gathering of five of my closest friends, these friends are all intellectuals and as such bicker endlessly. The evening began well with a glass of fizzy and some olives at my flat. Then a table booked in my favourite restaurant for dinner. All went well except that three of us were drinking and three of us weren't. It began to get a little raucous and my friend and I burst into song much to the mortification of one of my sober friends who made it clear that we were extremely embarrassing. I was a little miffed by this as it was my birthday and I was having fun and thought him a bit of a party pooper, but my other friend took umbrage at his grumpiness and made it clear that she was not having any of it and made things very awkward until she finally had to have it out with him outside in the street. There was an uncomfortable atmosphere and she was also not happy with her partner for not standing up for her. I sat in the middle of this thinking for goodness sake get over it and lets just have a nice time. I love all of my friends individually but as a group there are some very tricky personalities to negotiate.

This is just one of many similar occasions over the years and every time I think why do I organise these things.

But I suppose it makes for a colourful evening.

Most amazing thing of all was that the worst one of them all wasn't even there - you know who you are (-;

2 comments:

DOT said...

I believe I was there in spirit.

Sounds like my pet poltergeist was at play anyway. x

Girl On The Run said...

Well, there was definitely a chilly atmosphere at times...
x