Tuesday 10 November 2009

'Ode to 'Bright Star' ...'

I went to see this film at lunch time today.

It was stunningly beautiful to watch (the lighting was perfect) and the performances of the two lovers, Keats (Ben Whishaw) and Fanny Brawne (Abbie Cornish), were totally believable and very accomplished.

Their conversations and letters about love were interwoven with Keats' own words and vision, and the cinematography matched the beauty of his poetry.

Jane Campions film was based on Andrew Motion's biography of Keats and I for one will be putting that on my Christmas list.

There isn't much story to tell that isn't already known and therefore I can't ruin the plot for anyone but if I have one criticism it is the ending when Keats goes off to Italy and dies. I could spoil the film by telling you why I felt the end was lacking so I will leave that for you to discover and to agree or disagree as you see fit.

This is a tiny criticism which, to my mind, unbalances the film a little. But apart from that my favourite poet's un-consumated love and tragically short life is beautifully represented in this film.

No comments: