Monday 28 July 2008

The Big Day

Well it happened. ‘The Wedding Of The Year’, in fact of any year!

The Sun shone and shone and shone. The venue was beautiful. The Node at Caldecott. Nestled deep in the heart of Hertfordshire. And heart is probably the best word to describe the core of this amazing day, because people were over-flowing with it.

Purple was the colour of the day. The men’s ruche neckties, the bridesmaid’s dresses, the bride’s mother’s tunic and fascinator and the groom’s mother’s (that's me) frock and shoes. The programmes were edged with purple ribbon and a tiny tube of sweet love hearts in a little purple bag graced every place setting with a tiny picture scanned onto the front of the bride and groom when they were little children. The bouquets and the flowers on each table were purple and mauve and cream.

But the Bride was not in purple. She was an absolute vision in delicate cream chiffon, trimmed with pale blue crystals and (according to her mum) a million laces all the way up the back of the dress. The train and veil were also trimmed with tiny crystals. On her perfect, slim body, the whole effect was stunning.Photobucket

My youngest son, Adam, the best man, who hadn’t slept for three weeks because of having to make a speech, excelled in the role. His speech was funny, satisfyingly disrespectful and heart-warming. As was the speech by the bride’s father. But when my eldest son, the groom, made his speech it was so wonderfully touching there was hardly a dry eye in this beautifully decorated house.

There was so much love and joie de vivre, so many kisses and handshakes, so many optimistic, humorous, clever young people, so many moist eyed, hopeful and totally delighted bosom family that I cannot fault their selection of guests.

This day was perfect in every way and I am so proud of my sons and feel so lucky to have such a lovely new daughter and now, because my prose is also verging on the purple. I think… enough said.

(I will post some more pics when I get hold of them.)

1 comment:

Jane Smith said...

I'm so glad the day went well for you. And what a gorgeous day it was! The bride is beautiful, and I bet you were too.