Tuesday 15 July 2008

Wedding Day Blues...

On Saturday 26th July is my eldest son's wedding day. The thought of this fills me with much fear and trepidation. Why, you might ask, surely this should be an exciting and wonderful occasion?

For one thing I am skint, flat broke, penny-less, financially embarrassed whatever you might like to call it. The bottom line is, I have no dosh.

When I went into the Women's Refuge my flat was under offer. Due to all sorts of reasons that I will write about later it was repossessed by the Mortgage Company. Because of bureaucratic nonsense they lost my buyer but eventually found another in about March. They were first time buyers, no chain, and made a really good offer. All good news so far. Well it is now the middle of July and they have still not exchanged contracts. I have a substantial amount of equity in this property and was hoping to make a really big splash at this wedding. A beautiful outfit, a generous contribution to the wedding costs. A lovely room at the hotel where the wedding is to be held.

If it wasn't for living at the refuge I would be homeless so I have a lot to be grateful for. But it is disgusting that these Mortgage companies can treat people this way.

I am very lucky indeed. My sister is a very lovely, generous person and has come to my rescue. She has whisked me off t0 Belgium and she has bought me a gorgeous outfit for the wedding. She has also booked us rooms at the hotel.

But it is very hard, because I wanted to be able to do this myself. She knows I will repay her but somehow it just doesn't feel right.

I will also be meeting my ex in-laws for the first time in many years. My ex-husband and his new wife, my ex mother-in-law and I will be turning up alone. No job, no man, no money, no home. Well you can just imagine the conversation...

Well I have decided what I am going to say. I am going to say that I am living in bohemian exile by the sea, where I am painting and writing and living my dream before it is too late. Men? Goodness me no, I don't need a man in my life, a man would just complicate things. Job? Writing is my job and I have sold three of my paintings. House? Goodness me no, I am living in temporary accommodation while I learn French and then I intend to rent a farm house in Brittany. Money? Goodness me, how bourgeois.

Do you think they will be convinced ......?

6 comments:

DOT said...

He he! You old hippy :)

Jane Smith said...

Other people's opinions are overrated (apart from Dot's, of course, who seems to have summed you up perfectly). Mine, of course, is important so you should listen to me.

From what I've read on your blog so far you've worked incredibly hard to get to where you are now. You've not necessarily reached the point you would have liked to: but you're here, you're making the best of things, and will, eventually, get where you want to be. If other people judge you harshly for making difficult decisions then you should smile and pat them on the head, and forgive them for Just Not Realising.

Now stop being so hard on yourself and look forward to the wedding. You'll look gorgeous, and your son will just be happy to have you there, and won't care where you're living so long as you smile and dance.

Jane

Girl On The Run said...

Thank you for your comment B. I will rise to the occasion of course. It's what I do best.

Girl On The Run said...

Sorry, I meant thank you Jane. I'm not feeling too good today so forgive the faux pas.

Sue

Jane Smith said...

Sue, I saw no faux pas, just a thank-you.

Now: do you have your dancing shoes ready for Saturday?

Jane

Girl On The Run said...

As you can see Jane it was an amazing day. Yes, I danced the night away. The weather was really warm, who would have believed 24 hours before that I would be sitting outside in a fabulous garden at 1 o'clock in the morning drinking wine . We were truly very lucky.