Monday 14 July 2008

Werchter One Day Rock Festival

I thought, for a change, i'd write about something less 'heavy' man.

Yesterday, I went to a one day Rock Festival in Belgium. I am visiting my sister at the moment and this festival is about half an hour away from her. We only discovered it was on two days ago and on impulse decided to go. Luckily we were able to get tickets. My sister had never been to a Rock Festival (She is 4 years older than me) so this was a really cool thing to do. The Line up included 'Mick Hucknall', 'Crowded House', 'James Blunt' and 'Santana'.

Our decision to go to this event was met with much derision from my 18 year old 'Emo' nephew. Whose musical taste runs to bands like 'Alkoline Trio' and 'Funeral for a Friend'. When asked if he cared to join us such remarks as 'Old' and 'Fogy' were muttered between clenched teeth, so we got the message.

My 22 year old niece, however, was pretty made up about seeing James Blunt and so accompanied myself and my sister to this 'happening'.

The venue was at least a two mile walk from the car park, which was OK at the beginning of the festival but less agreeable at the end when we would be tired from standing all day (hmm maybe the 'Old Fogy' remarks were justified after all). The toilets were very clean ,checked out by me immediately on arrival. You grabbed your couple of sheets of tissue on your way into the port a loo. In fact the whole day was really well organised. Not what I had come to expect in the past from the English Gigs I'd been to. From an old fogy point of view this was a bonus, from an ex hippy's point of view this was definitely 'pseud'.

Anyway, Mick Hucknall was superb, what a great voice, he has changed his 'soul' voice to that of Rhythm and Blues in tribute to a late great American blues artist whose name escapes me at the moment. I might google it and edit this later. The blues was great and the return to his own funky soul sound at the end of the set had the whole house dancing.

He was followed by Crowded House, a favourite band of mine (and many other Old Fogy's I expect) it was so amazing to see them perform live, however I thought the sound lacked the old sparkle, maybe this could only be provided by a second Finn!However 'The Weather With You' brought the crowded house down.

James Blunt, performed an excellent set, his rather peculiar voice was as good as on CD and his japes on the stage, including standing on top of the piano and surfing, were really entertaining. He also jumped into the audience much to the delight of my niece who managed to touch him!

The evening was rounded off for us by the always excellent Santana. The King, The Chief, The God of old fogyish guitar playing and my word he can play! Yep an ageing hippy was much mellow. I was also much entertained by the dancing of a group of black guys in front of us who, well they just had the rhythm and the skill and 'the hips' to do Old Carlos justice.

A great day, we limped home with aching backs and legs, along the two mile of road back to the car and sang all the way home.

These old fogies know how to rock!

It is on youtube under 'Werchter boutique one day festival' sorry don't know how to do a link )-:

No comments: